I was at a restaurant back in March call Harvest Seasonal Grill & Wine Bar located in Glen Mills, PA. It is a farm to table restaurant where most menu options are 500 calories or less. I was told it was fantastic, and that was indeed an understatement. The group of us that had gone split this goat cheese appetizer that they had on their menu and it was so delicious that my fiancée and I had to recreate it. So, here’s what we came up with from our memory.
Goat Cheese Heavenly Dream
Makes 16 servings. 134 calories per serving.
8 oz of pure goat’s milk cheese
1 large apple of the crisp variety
1 oz of walnuts crushed
1/2 organic Whole-grain baguette (We got ours from Wegman’s)
Crofter’s Just Fruit Spread Organic Raspberry (Or similar brand)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice the baguette into 1/4 pieces and line them on a cookie sheet. Place them into the oven until they are lightly toasted. Remove from the oven to cool.
2) Crush or smash the walnuts into tiny pieces.
3) Roll the goat cheese log in the crushed walnuts until coated evenly.
4) Place goat cheese log into an oven-safe container and put in the oven for 8 minutes or until warm.
5) Slice the apple into thin pieces.
6) Remove goat cheese from the oven. This is where you can get fancy and make it look presentable. Spread the goat cheese on the crostini. Top with an apple slice and some raspberry fruit spread and voila! Low carb option would be to use the apple as the bottom instead of the crostini.