American adults gain on average about 1 pound of weight during the holiday season. While this may not seem like much, any weight gain can contribute to health risks such as diabetes and heart disease. We’ve got your back with these 6 tips to make a healthy game plan this holiday season. Here they are!
- Plan ahead. If you are going to a party or event, don’t go starving! Don’t wait all day to “cheat” at the party, chances are you will overeat. Eat slowly, enjoy the conversation rather than focusing on the food and keep the alcoholic beverages to a minimum. This includes eggnog and punches!
- Bring your own. Lots of gatherings involve everybody bringing something. Choose to bring something healthy, like the veggie tray so you know that there will be at least one thing that you can snack on.
- Make smart substitutions for recipes. Use healthy oils (coconut or avocado), yogurt, lowfat milk and limit butter. Low sodium fat free chicken broth is a great flavor substitution!
- Give out leftovers. If you are hosting holiday dinner or a party, send your guests home with a goody bag. The less you have sitting around your kitchen, the less you will be able to eat- again and again…
- Don’t feel guilty. Chances are, your favorite foods might be served everywhere you go. Limit your portions and truly enjoy the food you are consuming. Once you have had your portion of those favorite foods, move on. You don’t have to feel badly that you ate them, just know that you can make different choices the next time.
- Exercise! Continue your workout program throughout the holiday season. Not only will you burn calories, you can use the workout as a time to de-stress.
Do you have any questions? Do you have a great holiday tip? Let us know!